Free Resources to Use During COVID-19 Pandemic
Resilience Trauma Therapist
Sarah N., MA
The COVID-19 pandemic has created many hurdles that we are struggling to overcome, particularly families of school-aged children. Many parents and caregivers are suddenly wearing more hats than usual – they are now teacher, playmate, peer and principal, along with their usual role of a caregiver. With these new roles come new responsibilities and new anxiety, which can make everything more overwhelming in an already hectic time. These feelings are nothing to be ashamed of – it is completely understandable and normal! To help navigate these new roles, we have put together a list of FREE online and local resources families can use. There are educational resources to help with schooling and fun resources to help combat any anxiety and cabin fever families may be feeling!
- Explore Your Environment – Virtual tours through nature from around the world (Special thanks to Erin and Trey for finding this resource!)
- Herrick District Library: E-library for kids filled with hundreds of books, videos, music and even math sites. Materials also available in Spanish.
- PBS Kids Learn and Grow: Age by age tips & activities for social emotional learning, literacy, arts and more.
- Scholastic Learn at Home: Day to day projects to keep kids growing
- Parents: Virtual trips to museums from history across the ages to centuries worth of art.
- IXL: Comprehensive curriculum for K-12. (Analytics and guidance not free)
- Parents: Fun learning activities to make at home.
- 5 Senses Nature Scavenger Hunt: A fun activity to get the kids and everyone out of the house and into nature.
- Neighborhood I-Spy: Get the whole neighborhood involved in fun while still practicing social distancing!
- Coloring: Free printable and online coloring pages for the whole family.
- Simplified Classes: Learn how to water color and download a free coloring book!
- Kids Crafternoon: Monthly fun and simple crafts for kids.
- Drawing with Carolyn Stich: Local artist, Carolyn Stich, is offering a free daily art class on her Youtube channel.
- Detroit Zoo: Watch live feeds for many of your favorite animals at the zoo!
- Cincinnati Zoo: Tune in at 3pm EDT where we will highlight one of our amazing animals and include an activity you can do from home. Or catch the videos after on their YouTube channel.
- 30 Virtual Field Trips: You can visit Yellowstone national park across the country or even rocket into space through these virtual field trips!
- Local trails: There are many hiking, walking and biking trails in the Holland area the whole family can enjoy!